My first Sunday back, the pastor’s message mentioned Mark 6. The beginning of this chapter has Jesus sending out the 12 disciples. Verse 8 says “He charged them to take nothing for their journey except a staff- no bread, no bag, no money in their belts.” Oh wait… so I’m thinking about my lack of my own house, my own bed, this, that BUT Jesus tells the disciples to have NOTHING with them?? That makes me feel incredibly blessed! Who cares about what I don’t have when I have God and His provision! Here in Lubbock I have brothers and sisters in Christ, I have “second” parents and grandparents, I have support and encouragement, I have accountability, I have prayer warriors, I have a roof over my head (even though I don’t own it), I’m part of a church body… the list is endless.
Wednesday, February 1, 2012
No place to lay my head...
I’ve been in the States and back home for about 7 weeks now. I traveled to Lubbock , Texas a couple weeks ago to return to my previous job for a little bit before I head to Australia again. Once again I am not in a place I call “home”. The only stuff here I have that’s “mine” is what I could fit in a suitcase and small carry-on bag. Oh yeah, and my car… that’s still mine! It got me thinking more about Jesus’ life. He had no house, no duplex, or apartment. He didn’t have those comfy suede couches to lounge on wrapped up in his Texas Tech Snuggie. (That’s right, I went there). It reminds me of the verse in Luke 9:58:
“And Jesus said to him ‘Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.’”
The heading of this section in my ESV Bible is “The Cost of Following Jesus”. Wow. Is having no physical house and no comforts to call “my own” really one of the costs of following Jesus wholeheartedly?? Am I ready for this?? The last 7 weeks of my time in Australia , my team and I traveled to a different town each week, which means a new bed every week. (And the term “bed” is used loosely… we praised God when we got an actual bed but many times we slept on the floor with sleeping bags.) I have been living out of my suitcase since July 17th and will continue to until I return to Australia in April. Not to mention I lived, ate, slept, EVERYTHING with the same 8 people for 21 weeks. I’m assuming Jesus had some “invasion of privacy” issues also. At least that’s what I like to tell myself!
So, I count it an honor and privilege to live my life in some way similar to Christ’s. Isn’t that what we as Christians strive for? To live like Christ? To model His life in ours as much as we can?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment